Hello all! First of all, thanks so much for all of the lovely comments on our new moody wall in the bedroom! I really appreciate you taking the time to comment, it means a lot!
Our spring break is coming to a close and we were able to get away to NYC for a couple days with the whole family -- it was wonderful. It’s been more than two years since we’ve been there so it was GREAT to get back to the city that we love.
So I’m back with a quick project for the closet! This room has actually been done (well, close to done) for over a month now – I worked my tail off to get it ready when Sherwin-Williams asked if I wanted to be involved in their National Painting Week campaign. How fun, YES I did! So I’ll be sharing the progress in this room next week, along with a bunch of other fantastic bloggers.
But for now I’m offering a sneak peek in the form of a little organizing project for the room. This project actually serves two purposes. One is to organize my necklaces, another is to hide one of the eye sores in the room:
We have two access panels in here, and I’m sure many of you have these in your closet too. I could have cared less about them for years, but now that the room is coming together so well I want to hide them somehow. I have a plan for the other one as well. :)
This one is now hidden and I love how it turned out. I started with scrap wood (yes, I have a lot of this stuff – this is why my garage becomes such a mess!) and some side pieces:
The outside trim is the same mdf I’ve used in our mud room. This was an extra piece I was going to return, glad I hadn’t done that yet. :)
I put this together just like I did the DIY pet food tray I showed you a few weeks ago – but since I was using it the opposite way I needed to fill in between the trim and the wood on the back:
I sanded it all down and you can see what I mean by the opposite way here:
If you would flip this over it would be a tray. I was using the back of it.
Next up – putting some of the many decorative knobs I have to use. I shared how to use these for more than just furniture here. When I wrote that post I realized I had quite a few of the same crystal knobs from a dresser years ago and came up with this idea to put them to use.
I used the double ended screws I showed you in that post and when I tried it out I realized the screw would be a bit too long:
The end of it was going to go into the wall, so I had to figure out a way to make it shorter, without cutting it down. I got a thick dowel rod and cut it down into small pieces, then drilled a hole down the middle:
But it worked!:
As you can see I painted them the same color as the panel and the walls (at first I painted it a lighter color but I quickly realized I wanted it to melt into the wall).
I measured out where I wanted them, drilled a pilot hole, then installed the pointy end of the double ended screw into the panel.
I knew it would be functional, but I was a little surprised at how much I loved it!:
This is just for my longer necklaces – I have the shorter ones on a stand alone organizer you’ll see next week.
There’s still so much I’d like to do in this room, but it’s come SO far! I can’t wait to show you everything next Friday! But for now this bit of organization is a little taste of what’s to come:
I’m so excited to share it with you!
I had most of the items for this project, but I did have to get the dowel rod. You could also just screw the knobs into wall – it would work just as well and would cut down on cost a little. And you certainly don’t need to use all the same knobs either – mixing them up would be fun. Remember you can spray paint old knobs in fun colors as well.
You’ll see the final reveal next week when we all share our Sherwin-Williams National Painting Week projects! Have a great weekend!