Then you can do this:





And make the outside of your house as pretty as the inside.

You'll need:

A door. (I'm funny.)
Numerous garlands ($3 or less each)
Numerous light strands
Large or small cup hooks
Step ladder
Measuring tape


Measure the height and width of your front door. Take your garland and figure how many feet you'll need. Most come in nine foot sections. (By the way, you can easily cut these to size with pliers or wire cutters.) Then, depending on how much you have and how full you want it -- twist numerous strands together. Then wrap the strands of lights around the whole thing.

Take your cup hooks, and start putting them around your door. I like to put them opposite ways, so the garland kind of weaves around them:




At the top, put one right in the middle. Then find the middle of your garland:




Keep a hold of that point in the garland, then hang that part on the middle cup hook. Then drape the rest down the sides of the doorway, tucking the garland in the cup hooks as you go. (Make sure the plug for the lights is closest to the outlet!)


If you don't have an outlet, just use a bunch of garland and make a full one to put around the door. Stick ornaments, ribbon, whatever in it! I have a very small porch, so I put up two sets -- one around the door and one around the overhang. I also do this around the garage in the same way.

The cup hooks will leave a very small hole in the trimwork. If you are worried about the hole, use the smaller cup hooks.

The great part is, you'll know exactly where they go every year -- the hole is already there! Greenery makes for a very traditional, sophisticated exterior and I LOVE IT. If you have the 12-foot, blow up Santa, I'm sure it will still work with that. (OH, do you know how close I am to getting one this year?? More about that later.)

To do this:



That's a lighted wreath, hanging in the window, in case you can't tell because you are blinded by the lights because my stupid bleeping expensive camera won't take pictures worth a crap in the dark no matter what setting I use... Breathe.

Anyhoo, take a small wreath (I got mine for about $3 each at Joann's years ago.) Wrap it with a strand of lights. Take fishing wire, floral wire, string, anything, and wrap it through the top. Open your window, pull out the screen, lay the wreath on the screen, figure out where you want it, then pulling the wire and end of the lights through the top, shove the screen back in, cuss a few times, call your husband to help, cuss again cause he's taking too long, slam the screen back in, then close the window.

You may have to push a little harder for the window to lock this time. :) I'm sure it's some kind of minor fire hazard to smash a strand of lights through a window, but I've done it for years and we're OK. (Knock on wood.) Here's a better pic:



Wow, that little guy needs to be fluffed. Garland is like a wet cat, you need to fluff it up to get it looking it's best.

Really, none of this is hard. It just takes time. The first time you do it will be the longest. After that, it takes me well under an hour, start to finish, to hang everything.

More crappy pictures to show you the beauty (I'm really selling this well, aren't I??):



Notice the coach light that's burnt out. Only the best for you folks, I tell ya.


P.S. The posts will probably come fast and furious this month! If I see something, I'm going to post it...like that puuuurdy Christmas tree. Kelly, NO THAT IS NOT IN MY HOUSE!! :)


P.P.S. We're getting our tree tomorrow -- EARLY this year. Yippee kie yay!!!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top